SCHUSS MOUNTAIN SKI TRIP | MI
Location: 5780 Shanty Creek Road, Bellaire, MI 49615 | December 29, 2016
There is nothing quite like experiencing snow for the holidays. I didn’t realize how much I would miss it, until we moved to Mississippi. Although I love our new home, and 70 degrees is nice in December, I am a proud Michigander. Growing up I was always involved in snowboarding, pond hockey, snowmobiling and bonfires with friends and family. These activities shared with loved ones, is exactly what makes winters in Michigan so special. With that being said, our Christmas and New Years plans took us north.
BELOW IS OUR TRAVEL ITINERARY
DAY ONE | THURSDAY | COTTAGE
- The drive from our home town in Michigan was about 2 and 1/2 hours. Once we arrived with our families, we all crammed into a cozy cottage on the outskirts of Bellaire. To our delight the cottage was surrounded by trees with heavy branches of snow, overlooking a frozen lake.
- Since we arrived a little later then intended, we dined in and made a variety of home made pizzas. Once our tummies were full, we hit the trails and went for a midnight snowmobile ride.
DAY TWO | FRIDAY AND SATURDAY | SCHUSS MOUNTAIN
- In the morning we woke up early and made our way to Schuss Mountain. Schuss Mountain is part of Shanty Creek Resort, and offers a variety of runs for both skiers and snowboarders. You can also rent equipment.
- We really enjoyed Schuss Mountain, and it is by far one of our favorite places to snowboard. We started our day tailgating in the parking lot at the base of the mountain. Yes you read that right, we parked our truck, dropped the tailgate, cracked a beer and made a bonfire. Tip for next time: bring extra fire wood, folding chairs and unhealthy snacks.
- For lunch on Friday we ate at Ivan’s Cafe, which is more of a cafeteria setting at the base of Schuss Mountain. Inside there were plenty of tables for us to crowd around.
- For lunch on Saturday we decided to class it up, and ate at The River Bistro, which is a restaurant on the mountain. This is more of a sit down for a while atmosphere, so our group had to wait 40 minutes for a table but it was well worth it. The food and drinks were tasty, and the view overlooking the mountain was beautiful.
- For dinner we went to Short’s Brewing Company to enjoy local beer and live music. Some of our favorite beers from the night were Nitro Cozy Blanket, Starcut Ciders Phuzz, Huma Lupa Licious and Farmhouse L-I-V-I-N.
CLICK FOR | RESTLESS ROOTS TRAVEL ITINERARY
FOR MORE INFORMATION CHECK OUT THE LINKS BELOW TO HELP PLAN YOUR TRIP